Late goals sink Victory youth

Two late goals to Perth's National Youth League side have given the Glory a 3-1 win over the Melbourne Victory at Members Equity Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Two late goals to Perth's National Youth League side have given the Glory a 3-1 win over the Melbourne Victory at Members Equity Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Glory opened the scoring in the 16th minute through Eli Babalj before Melbourne hit back after the break, Nathan Elasi slipping the ball home from close range.

The Victory missed several chances to take the lead and the Glory made them pay, skipper Andrija Jukic curling a wonderful free kick past Melbourne's wall before Reece Vittiglia added the third three minutes from time.

The victory sees the Glory maintain fourth spot on the National Youth League table, consolidating their position in the four as they jump to three points ahead of fifth-placed Central Coast, as the Victory remains in last place.

After an intense opening to the encounter in warm and sunny conditions, the Glory made their possession count, opening the scoring in the 16th minute through tall striker Babalj.

Ryan Pearson produced an incisive run into the box from the left, sneaking a low cross past the defence from close to the byline that was slotted home at the near post by 16-year-old Babalj.

Nine minutes later, Babalj was at it again, forcing Mitch Langerak into a good block from close range, with the 'keeper also beating away a follow-up effort from Jukic.

The Victory were struggling to hold onto possession through the middle and were on the end of numerous Glory attacks although their cause wasn't helped by the forced substitution of first-team regular Evan Berger, who had to be taken off in the 10th minute after copping the brunt of a Vittiglia free kick to the face.

Just after the half-hour, Babalj did well to hold the ball up close to goal, laying it off to Howard Fondyke, who's powerful snap shot was athletically saved by Langerak.

The Victory created their first chance in the 34th minute when Matthew Theodore sent a weak effort into the hands of Dejan Aleksic but that was about as good as it got for the visitors until first-half injury time when Leigh Broxham sent a free kick over the bar from just outside the box.

Powered by several substitutions at half time, the Victory came out with more intent in the second half, drawing level in the 50th minute through Elasi.

A powerful effort from Theodore had been deflected wide of the post but the Victory scored from the resulting corner as the ball from Aziz Behich fell perfectly for an unmarked Elasi to slot home from three metres.

Three minutes later a long-range effort from Theodore flashed past the post before consistent Glory defender Scott Neville did well to tackle Melbourne's Dimitri Hatzimouratis on the edge of the box.

But the Victory were made to pay for their misses in unusual circumstances 13 minutes from time.

Back-up Victory stopper Sebastian Matteii, on for Langerak at half-time, held the ball for longer than six seconds as he shaped to take a goal kick and was penalised, conceding a free kick on the 18-yard line that was beautifully curled into the top corner by Jukic.

And, the Glory added some gloss to the scoreline three minutes from time when Vittiglia scored the third. Jukic was dispossessed on the edge of the box by the Victory's defence but the ball fell for Vittglia to slam it home.

There was late drama, though, as Behich received a straight red in the third minute of injury time for a crude challenge on Jukic.

Perth Glory 3 (Babalj 16, Jukic 77, Vittiglia 87) Melbourne Victory 1 (Elasi 50)